Friday, January 9, 2015

1986 or 2014?


I've wanted to write about this picture for a while now.  I took it back in August.  I would come across it several times in my Library and always go off on a tangent in my head but I was never able to jot anything down.  Well... I finally have a minute...

I've taken hundreds, maybe thousands of pictures of Cash, but this one caught my eye.  It was special in a way that it took me a while to realize why this picture was so different than the others.  It was the first time I've ever actually seen myself in him.

I know that phrase gets thrown around lightly.  People say he looks like Andrea, some say me, sometimes your child's actions give you a tiny reminder of how you acted.  But this was different.  If I said to myself, "I wish my mom had a cell phone with an HD camera on it and took a picture of Grandma and I back in 1986 when I rocked a sweet pair of plaid shorts" and it came true, well then here you have it.

And if you looked at that picture, not a lot has changed.  The cabinets my grandpa made, the kitchen that hits 80 degrees because Grandma's always cold and the stove was on blast heating up the sauce, and my grandma who would think it absurd not to serve a guest spaghetti (or anything they wanted) whether they were staying for an hour or a week.  

The only change would be that the little boy is now my son.  A boy who has changed my life for the better, who has made me realize that growing up and taking on more responsibility than I could ever imagine as a teen isn't that bad at all.  (Cliche Warning)-Its the moments like this that make it all worth it.  I hope he remembers going to Great Grandma's and I hope the memories are as good as the ones I have because some of my happiest happened in this house.

There is no point to this.  There is no lesson to be learned.  Just a proud dad, who took a cool picture of two of the most important people in his life and wanted to write about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment